The Subaru Levorg has normally struck me as a car or truck with a bit of an identification crisis.
Is it a WRX wagon with yet another title? A luxury estate with a proudly mainstream badge? Neither, genuinely. But in an period of unmatched homogeneity, something that is hard to outline or set into a box is intriguing.
Subaru Australia, to its credit history, is keen for us to look at its go-speedy wagon from another angle. So when we proposed a prolonged-expression financial loan, the company threw a established of keys to a manufacturer new 2. GT-S variant our way.
When we say new, we imply it. It was shipped with less than 100 kilometres on the clock. By the time we’re carried out in a couple of months, it’ll make for a high-quality probable supplier demo at auction. So if you like the glimpse, hit us up…
The Levorg 2. GT-S sits a person rung below the flagship 2. STI Activity, and wears a sticker rate of $49,140 in advance of on-street expenses. For reference, the base Levorg 1.6 GT expenses $35,990.
Subaru’s products approach has plainly been to load every variation up to the gills with typical characteristics and placement the Levorg as a high quality proposition. It is received a loooooong checklist of options:
Dual-zone local climate manage, driven (for the driver) leather seats with heating and blue stitching, button get started, LED headlights with dusk-sensors, a sunroof, satellite navigation and every single piece of energetic safety tech Subaru helps make.
This signifies blind-location monitoring, large beam aid, rear cross-website traffic notify, lane support, adaptive cruise regulate, AEB… you get the gist. It also beeps at you if the auto forward can take off and you are not having to pay interest, and a rear-view mirror with crafted-in digicam for instances when your view at the rear of is impeded by cargo.
Underneath the bonnet is a 2. flat 4, turbocharged, lifted from the iconic WRX. It tends to make 197kW at 5600rpm, and 350Nm of torque among 2400 and 5200rpm. Remaining a Subaru, it is bought a permanent all-wheel drive technique with variable torque distribution between every single close of the auto.
It also comes common with an automated transmission, sure to raise purists’ eyebrows. Extra intriguing, it is not some fangled double-clutch effectiveness ‘box. It’s a CVT, albeit one with paddles and a S# manner with eight stepped, programmed ratios.
Subaru claims a -100km/h sprint time of 6.6 seconds. In anyone’s language, that ain’t hanging about.
Other mechanical bits consist of Bilstein suspension (MacPherson strut entrance/double wishbone rear), and Dunlop SPSport Maxx 050 tyres on very attractive 18-inch wheels. The motor vehicle strategies the scales at 1622kg, with fluids.
Ours also has Thule roof racks. We have bought a several cyclists in the business office we can lean on for assistance applying them. We’ve also got a existing fourth-gen Subaru Liberty wagon owner, and an ex-Outback operator, both equally of whom are intrigued and will give some fantastic insights.
- The infotainment lacks Apple CarPlay and Android Vehicle, compared with the newer-gen Liberty/XV.
- That extravagant rear look at mirror/camera can take some adjustment, but it can be turned off, and we will give it a opportunity.
- If you like a dizzying array of buttons and screens in your cabin, this automobile will float your boat. It is an engineer’s aspiration.
- The suspension, specially at the rear, feels a minor unsorted. It seems to ‘thunk’ around sharp inputs, hits its bump stops also easily (beneath-damped?), and has some undisciplined physique regulate more than repetitive undulations. Hmm, we’ll investigate.
- The CVT is essentially not horrible as some doubters might have assumed. It’s in fact really responsive in S#… Am I a general performance-scene traitor?
- The surety of AWD traction was created abundantly clear to me just after driving a couple of hundred clicks in a torrential downpour.
- It has one of the nicest steering wheels I’ve at any time held. The seats are outstanding, as well.
We will deliver you additional around the following handful of months. Queries? Check with away…